Hellesdon Station Open Day - Saturday 30th June 2018 - 10:30-3:30
Join us to celebrate the restoration of the railway platform at Hellesdon Station, running all day from 10:30am-3:30pm.
Hellesdon Station can be found in the woods, just off Hellesdon Road, near the road bridge over the River Wensum. Some car parking can be found at the Marlpit Arms and on Hellesdon Road. Follow this link to zoom to a Google map showing where the Open Day will be held.
We have a range of activities for all ages, including:
- There will be two excellent walks and tours, led by John Batley of Norwich City Station Preservation Group/FONCS. The first will begin at Norwich City Station, just off the Barn Road roundabout (start of Marriott's Way). Meeting at 10:15am, you'll walk the two miles from City to Hellesdon Station, hearing fascinating and exciting stories of the railways. The second walk will begin at 2:30pm, touring Hellesdon Station and its surrounding areas. Both walks will be short distances with regular breaks, with the morning walk being on solid, flat surface for its entire length - suitable for all the family.
- To add the finishing touches to the restored platform, we'll be reinstalling an original concrete mile-marker, lovingly refurbished by Stuart McPherson of FONCS.
- To celebrate the launch of the new Norwich cycle map, come and join us for the first ride along one of Norwich’s new circular leisure cycle routes. We’ll be riding a 20 mile loop along Marriotts Way to Attlebridge, returning back via Ringland and Costessey.
- The ride starts at 11am from the main event at Hellesdon Station, and includes off road and on road surfaces. It would be suitable for any bike except road bikes.
- Perfect for families, there will also be a short led ride along Marriotts Way to the beautiful Gunton Lane Park with it’s woodland paths and shallow river - great for picnics & paddling. This will be at 2pm and will also be suitable for balance bikes.
- There will be an area for balance bike training, led by Pushing Ahead, so bring along your little ones to get them confident on two wheels. We'll get them cycling the whole Marriott's Way in no time!
- A Bioblitz will be running throughout the day with expert wildlife recorders to help you identify species you've spot. We'll be creating a record of everything that's been spotted, how many creatures do you think we'll find?
- The Marlpit Community Garden (Sustainable Living Initiative) will have a stall selling local produce and cakes, so remember your pennies.
We hope to see you there for a day which promises to be great fun, whatever your interests are!
16th June 2018 - Aylsham Workhouse Walk
Starting at the Marriott's Way Aylsham gateway, this short 2.8 mile walk takes you westwards along Marriott's Way into the countryside, before looping back round and passing the beautiful 18th centuary workhouse.
Although this is the shortest of the new Marriott's Way circular walks, it by no means lacks the enjoyment of the others. It is flat and (weather permitting) dry, and as always, dogs are more than welcome to come along.
Booking is not essential, but if you would like to join us, please register your interest here.
Heritage Open Days Events
Join us for a tour of the old sites of City Station and Hellesdon Station, Norwich. Led by a local expert from the railway heritage group, Friends of Norwich City Station, you will learn about the site’s past and hear exciting stories. The tours will be on the weekends of 8th and 15th September. Stay tuned for more details!
Norfolk Walking Festival 2018
You're invited to Norfolk's 4th annual Walking and Cycling Festival. There will be events for all ages and abilities throughout October 2018.
The programme of events will be released in May.
In the meantime please visit www.pushingaheadnorfolk.co.uk to find out about other cycling and walking events that are taking place around the county.
If you are interested in submitting an event for the 2018 contact us at email@example.com or download the leader pack here.
Marriott's Way Monthly Walks
Take a look at our monthly walk page to find out when our next led walk is!
Keep checking back for more info on when you'll see us next!